“Truth is a precious commodity, so should be used economically.” — Mark Twain
What makes you, YOU?
- History buff and avid collector: Books of all kinds (history and science in particular), Silver Age comic books, pulp science fiction magazines from the ‘40s – ‘70s.
- Mr MAC(intosh) — Introduced Mac graphics technology to The OC Register (1988) and also the first Mac Graphic Designer for Disneyland Creative Services (1991)
- Illustration, drawing and painting
- Cigar connoisseur
- Traveled throughout the US
Things that make you tick...
- Jazz and blues
Pet peeves, dislikes, and anything else wrong with everything?
- Mushrooms, olives and pickles.
- Gas prices
- Grocery shopping
Your first (and last) magazine cover?
- Cigar Aficionado: Phillips compares the Top Ten Domestic Cigars with Rum Soaked Crooks.
Your midnight shift superhero identity?
- Boomerang, time travel.
Most unique experience during your career?
- Presenting a bus wrap design to Michael Eisner on a real bus.
What is your shaman power animal?
- An ant, based solely on statistics.
Something important you need to let the world know?
- From a demographic study conducted by the OC Register, c1988: “Newspaper readers are broken down by age and sex.”
Fairly useless but unique skill or trick?
- I can play the concertina.
Most likely scenario in a decade?
- Retire to my ancestral home in Ireland.
Good book for a long-flight?
- Toss-up between East of Eden (John Steinbeck) and The Light that Failed (Rudyard Kipling)
Movie most likely left in your DVD player?
- The Man Who Would Be King